19 July 2007

"It's All Right, Cuz I'm Saved by the Bell"

Today's topic of discussion for radio callers was guilty pleasure TV shows. I am not talking about the big ones. Even though it is sad to admit, many people (excluding me) watch American Idol but they freely admit it, therefore discounting it's guilty pleasure status. And for the people who just can't pass up Grey's Anatomy, this discussion was not for you.

Some guilty pleasure TV shows mentioned (by adults) were SpongeBob SquarePants, Yu-Gi-Oh, Mythbusters and Man vs. Wild (however, those were DQ'd because they are apparently widely watched), any home shopping show and the Kanuk classic, The Red Green Show.

So what show is my guilty pleasure? Saved by the Bell*. Having spent many a half hour with Kelly, Zack, Slater and the rest of the gang while awkwardly suffering through my junior high years, I still can't pass it up. I don't know if it's the nostalgia, Zack playing a broom as a guitar, Kelly Kapowski's tapered floral pants and colored Keds, or AC Slater's mullet. I can't quite pin-point the reason, but I am definitely guilty.

*Does not include Saved by the Bell: The New Class, or Saved by the Bell: The College Years

2 comments:

Natalie said...

You know my "guilty pleasure" shows - Laguna Beach and The Hills. Oh so good!

themickel said...

Oh man. My wife and I always laugh about how corny and stupid Saved by the Bell was, but when it came on the other day (first time in 10-odd years I saw it) I was completely unable to look away for a solid half-hour. I was a teen again, pegging my jeans and wishing my hair could stick up the way Zack's does.