25 July 2007

That Was a Big Bag of Jolly Ranchers

In reference to my recent June 27th post, I am somewhat saddened, yet glad, to say that it was a big bag of Jolly Ranchers. I find exercise to be good for my health and general outlook on life, (although at times dangerous--people fall of their bikes, or occasionally, the treadmill*) and thought it would cancel out eating Jolly Ranchers as a snack.

I was told, and have since learned otherwise. On Thursday last week, after finishing a fitness class which I regularly attend, the instructor handed out a sheet with some abdominal exercises and "nutritional guidelines" and then announced that we all will eliminate sugar and white flour from our diets. Wait, rewind. She's the fitness trainer, not the nutritionist. So why is she calling the food consumption shots? So I looked at her as if she had just slapped me, and I said, "But I have a whole bag of Jolly Ranchers in my desk at work." And she said, "Give them to the people at your office." What? Part with my 3.25 lb. bag of watermelon, grape, cherry, apple, and raspberry comfort? Hell no.

But I like my fitness teacher and she said she would do it too so I said I would give it a week. Since last Thursday I have not had one Jolly Rancher, or any other sugar for that matter. I thought I would be irritable or upset but I actually feel good. Man I hate that fitness teacher changing my habits as if she was Stephen Covey. I haven't heard what his 8th Habit is...maybe it's no sugar consumption.
So yesterday, mustering all the courage and will power I had, I took my still 3/4 full bag of Jolly Ranchers and left them in the kitchen at work. Today I returned to survey the damage. And as expected, 24 hours later, there is only 1/4 of the bag left. People are total vultures--they'd eat plain dry oats from a trough in the kitchen so long as it was free. However, my loss (of candy and weight) will literally be their gain (of candy and weight). Ha ha!

*The writer has never fallen off a bike or a treadmill--she just knows people that have (Yes, a treadmill)

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Um, is that book the work of a photshop pro? Because I think it is!

Mar said...

Not unless Stephen R. Covey is a Photoshop pro. The little-known 9th Habit is "Utilize Wicked-Good Photoshop Skilz."

Beau Sorensen said...

The white flour is deadly dangerous. I've known people who have literally been killed by it (well, a pallet of it, but flour nonetheless). I know that sugar and white flour are about the worst things you can do short of cocaine sniffing or a morning joint, and as such I try to avoid them when avoidable. That's where Sammy South Beach comes in, if I recall correctly.

gurrbonzo said...

I hate Stephen R. Covey, just so you know. I hate books with words like "habits" or "business" or "secret" or "team," or "success" in their titles.

Also, I love treats so could never do that...I salute you, mystery girl!

Mar said...

It's too easy to abuse Stephen Covey. I just can't pass it up.

Beau Sorensen said...

Abusing an old man? That's just sad.

chiggidy said...

your willpower is astounding. i keep trying to give up on the sugar thing, but i'm back on the wagon. i'd snort it if i didn't burn so badly....