01 November 2007

Overheard in the Office (3 minutes ago)

“Trunk-or-Treating breeds isolation in children. And it also breeds obesity because they are driven to the parking lot to get candy.”

I overheard this in my office less than three minutes ago and I can’t let it pass me by. Let’s break this one down, shall we?

Point No. 1 “Trunk-or-Treating breeds isolation”
Yeah, I can see how disallowing your children to run around in the dark from house to house with a group of two or three kids fosters so much more interaction than allowing them to join 10 to 15 families in a circle, parking lot, or what have you to socialize and acquire candy.

Point No. 2 “Trunk-or-Treating breeds obesity”
The appendage to Point No. 2 is especially awesome: “…because they are driven to the parking lot.” I never realized that Halloween was the holiday-o-exercise and that it required foot traffic to all destinations. All those years that I ran around for an hour to an hour-and-a-half has really kept off the Halloween candy weight that I could have packed on as an eight- or nine-year-old child. I am so grateful for that exercise.

Maybe Mr. Down-on-Trunk-or-Treating hasn’t had the opportunity to have his child hit by a car or kidnapped into somebody’s home while Trick-or-Treating. I guess we’ll have to wait until next year to convert him.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I was always jealous of the kids that had their mom's drive them around. I was one of those lazy kids.

WTF? You only trick or treated for an hour and a half. I swear I would go out for 3 hours. Now that I think of it, I don't now how i remained so skinny was I was a child.

Mar said...

It probably was more like three hours. Thanks for the reality check, Nat.

Beau Sorensen said...

The trunk or treat is nice in a couple of respects, starting with that it's like going to apartments and you can maximize your candy intake. I would do that and in an hour get what those schmucks who walked around a neighborhood got all night