07 January 2008

We've Drafted Our First Player

Much to our jubilation, we are adding our first player to the family team. For the past 14 weeks, we have been diligently caring for a fetus in hopes of a healthy miniature version of one of us. The main desires (aside from a totally healthy child) are that we have managed to engineer a child that receives the Moss bone structure and the Russon (Ben’s mom’s side) thin genes. We aren’t vain. We just want to have kids as cute as my siblings’ kids. Ben does not have any nieces or nephews in his family yet, so really there’s no standard to meet. We could have a litter of puppies in a box under the stairs and his family would be thrilled to have grandpuppies.

Needless to say, I have spent the whole first trimester (and the better part of my 40 hours/week of work) glued to the American Pregnancy Association (APA) website located here. Every time I add another week to my pregnancy I read about what is happening currently with my baby. Memorable milestones include, “This week your baby no longer looks like a lizard,” and “This week your baby’s eyes have fused shut and it is now the size of a grape.” I totally love that blind lizard-grape!

Not-so-amusing milestones are the ones where your body goes totally alien on you. I don’t just mean weight gain. Every time I read about changes, I think, “This is not right.” Examples range from hairloss and constipation, to enlarging glands on your nipples and Linea Nigra, or the darkening of the line that runs from your abdomen to your pubic bone. What? Varicose veins, I knew about. Leg cramps, I will learn to handle. Stretch marks, I will combat with a cream. But extra glands and darkening lines? I thought I signed up for 3am feedings, incessant crying, and diarrhea up the back. (All those being the work of the baby.) Those things I will take in stride but I am still perturbed about these extra glands and darkening lines. Can’t I just don a scarlet letter A and call it good?

Needless to say, we are really excited and I guess I will open it up for gender guesssing and name suggestions. But we probably won't take your suggestions.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Yea, I heard about the dark line a couple of months ago from someone and I fear the worst when one day i become prego. Good luck with that.

Beau Sorensen said...

Might I suggest MC Hammer Forstner? I think that's a great name.
The best part about the APA website is that they never run out of fruit or vegetables to compare your baby to. "It is now the size of a summer squash" or "He is growing healthily and becoming the size of a potato." Why not use animals? "Your baby is now the size of a box jellyfish" or "It's as though you have an elephant in you?"

chiggidy said...

I think it's safe to say as long as you stay away from Britney, Kevin, Jaden James, or Sean Preston for names, whatever you name your lizard-grape fetus will be acceptable.

I think Courtnie is the greatest name in the world...but I am biased.

chiggidy said...

ps. I tagged you. Go to my blog to read the details. Love!

Jodi said...

Congratulations you guys! Can't wait to hear what you're going to have. Hopefully there is only one :)