09 June 2008

Memorandum Monday

Memorandum
To: The Waiter at Citris Grill
From: Mar
CC: My Adoring Blog Readers
Date: 6/9/2008
Re: Your Crappy Service

When my friends and I are seated for lunch, we have a few expectations. They aren't outlandish or anything that involves you peeling my grapes or bringing me three different entrees because this one is overdone or that one is not spicy enough. They are simple, straightforward, waitering techniques that any waiter, rookie or veteran, should be able to handle.

1. Don't wait for us to request, 15 minutes after being seated, that a waiter be sent to our table. Just come over say hi and take a drink order.

2. When my friend asks for a recommendation on your favorite dish, don't say, "I don't know what are you in the mood for?" Generally, if she is asking, that means she would like a recommendation and is willing to be a bit adventurous.

3. Don't, under any circumstance, walk past our table, look at our empty drink glasses, make eye contact with me, and not offer to refill them until I say, "Excuse me, can we get our drinks refilled?"

4. Generally, a decent waiter remembers what his patrons are drinking.

These four points, if carried out, should result in a happy customer as well as the minimum tip for you.

5 comments:

WonderKitty said...

That is my husbands primary reason for a tip. If you keep his glass full, you get a full, sometimes generous tip. Even if you took 45 minutes to get us our food. If his glass gets empty for more than five minutes, your tip goes down the longer he waits. Poo on your waiter at Citris Grill!

Natalie said...

I confess - I will still give crappy waiters good tips. They make crap and when I see someone older than me serving, it makes me a little sad for them.

However, I hate it when you are in a large group and the waiter automatically gives him/herself 18% gratuity and then ignores you the whole night.

The injustice of the system is apparent!

gurrbonzo said...

It kills me when I get a diet coke and at refill time, the server says "Do you want another diet?"

What? Atkins? South Beach? I was a vegetarian for a month in high school and I'm not going back. Don't need a new diet, just a new drink. Bwahahaha.

Seriously, so blessed! said...

Mar, that is SO true!! I HATE that, way bad.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more. I hate the sense of entitlement that has overrun the land. I think waiters/waitresses have the mistaken idea that since they showed up for work they are entitled to good tips regardless of their level of service.