15 August 2007

Staff Lunch = Torturous Junior High Flashbacks

Once a month, the company that controls 40 hours per week of my life holds a Staff Lunch where employees are “treated” to a free sometimes-catered, sometimes-ordered lunch. I like to eat and I love it when it’s free, however every time I attend, I have insane flashbacks of junior high where I nearly blackout and writhe on the floor in misery. If you have read Harry Potter you might think of it as hearing a cold high-pitched voice and seeing a flash of green light. I imagine that I am 13, brace-faced, sporting a mean brushed out perm with bangs three inches high off my forehead, and pegged Girbaud jeans.

I have friends at my office and I make great conversation of the social variety, but I wouldn’t say I am part of the “in” crowd at work. The male-dominated environment in which I work provides men who would prefer to be friends with each other rather than befriend other un-cool, un-male friends. So after carefully deciding on whether the Marie Callender’s pot pie or the Marie Callender’s artichoke chicken is my best food choice for lunch, I head into the lunchroom and feel like I have nobody to join and like I have everybody staring. (And it’s not because of how hot I am.)

As a 29-year old college graduate, social butterfly, and generally damn funny person, one would think that I could nip this problem in the bud…but then again Staff Lunch only rears its ugly head once a month…so why bother?

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Moments of social awkwardness are what get me through the day. Go to staff lunch and embrace it. If not for yourself, but for the great blog stories it will provide.

Forro said...

I think the bigger concern should be centered on the fact that your company choses Marie Callender as the lunch option. It isn't as though you work in a retirement home.

Mar said...

In order to match the junior high theme, the company orders bad cafeteria-style food. We strive for consistency.

Beau Sorensen said...

It could be worse, you could actually have Skool Lunch (from the company, not the misspelled school).
Ah Girbauds. Good times.