27 March 2008

It Will Be My Fault

Sometimes while Ben and I are driving around we unleash our inner rocker and listen to hair bands of the 80's on 94.9, or classic rock on 103.5 and we talk about how cool some music used to be. We also comment about the music that our parents listened to while we were growing up. Ben's growing up years consisted of 60's Doo Wop and mine was riddled with ABBA and Elton John (before he got the "Sir" before his name). Every time I hear ABBA or Elton I am taken back to road trips in the wood-paneled family minivan and I can't help but turn up the radio, sing along, and remember the more carefree days. I would consider my secret like for both ABBA and Elton John as guilty pleasures and my also parents' fault.

Times have shifted and Ben and I talk about what music we will tell our kids is "cool." As parents, we will play the radio trump card for quite a few years as we road trip and shuttle to and from lessons and school. With the recent emergence of Guitar Hero III for the Wii, we have decided that 70's rock, 80's metal, and early 90's hair bands will be where it's at for our kids. I apoligize to them now but they will thank us later. I am sure that other forms of music, such as the Beatles, U2, and Chicago, will be part of the repertoire. And it will be my fault when my kids are 18, driving along with their friends, and suffer ridicule as they sing the lyrics to "Cherry Cherry" by Neil Diamond.

3 comments:

Jen said...

My kids are already subject to such music. And who doesn't love Neil Diamond anyway?

By the way, you left out the part about Dad making us scratch his back while we listened to "Crocodile Rock" or "Money, Money, Money."

mommy dearest said...

We used to dance with our kids in the living room to Cat Stevens and Simon and Garfunkel. We took all five ages 17-7 to their concert. Rock on girl. By the way we will miss you and ben in the ward.

Mar said...

We will miss your family too. Probably more than most. Keep in touch!