01 May 2008

"Excuse Me, There's a Chair on Your Butt"

Certain circumstances landed me at the Olympus High dance concert last night. Over a decade has passed since I last was in that high school auditorium and I noticed a few things.

When I was in high school my hips never touched the sides of the auditorium chairs like they did last night. I blame pregnancy. And I worried that if I stood up too fast I might detach the whole row of chairs from the floor and have to walk around with them squished onto my backside. Luckily my self esteem is award-winningly better than it was in high school.

The girls’ bathroom smelled like a tanning salon. Are teenage girls fake baking so often that the restroom just continuously smells like burned flesh? I also forgot that the stall walls and doors in the bathrooms only rise to armpit height so when standing up, you can see the head of the people in the stalls next to you. Ever the tightwads, Olympus won’t buy paper towels for hand drying. Or even install a hand blower. It is still using the towel roll that just goes around and around on that spool in the box on the wall and gets reused an unbearably gross amount of times. I opted for air drying, which I think I always did during high school. I guess this method would be considered “going green” in this day and age. Fortunately for Olympus, its bathrooms didn’t have to “go” anywhere to achieve such environmental consciousness.

My last horrific observation: there were more boys there than girls. I know why and I probably noticed it during high school but now that I will have a little girl of my own, I don't like anybody that might look at her as something other than just my little girl. If my daughter ever decides to be in the dance company I will gladly attend all performances. But I will probably freak out if at the end of her dance, some sorry piece of high school schlub yells, “Gracie, you’re hot. Wanna go to prom?”

4 comments:

Jen said...

Oh those were the days! I had a couple of dance girls from Thompson Lane in that concert. Dang, I should have come.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mar...I must think back to when I was pregnant with Spencer. We were in mom and dad's backyard sitting in those white plastic chairs. I stood and found the chair liked my behind so much that it decided to come with me. Had I not been pregnant I think I would've more embarassed than I already was.

Stephanie said...

if i ever meet you in real life, i have some HIGHLARIOUS stories about subbing for that dance class while they prepared for that very concert.

and im glad someone noticed the smell in the bathrooms too

chiggidy said...

mar. make jen invite me to read her blog.