17 July 2008

I Gave Birth and Other Things I Learned This Week

Yes, the wait is over. Our baby is here. No, I won't post pictures on this blog--it's not that kind of blog. If you would like pictures, you can email me and I will send them. If you don't know me or my email address, then I won't be able to send you pictures and that's probably why I am not posting them on my blog. I am sure that everybody on the internet is *totally normal* but once again, it's not that kind of blog. And as my dad maintains, "Once it's on the internet it's permanent and you can't take it down."

Rest assured that she is pretty much the cutest baby I have ever seen and it still seems surreal that I have a baby complete with a car seat, the good baby smell, and crying in the middle of the night.

And now, on to other things I have learned this week:
  1. I can and did take a lot of pain during my labor until I got my meds, but all you natural birthers out there are tough.
  2. Having a baby will lower your standards of cleanliness significantly but hopefully only for a little while.
  3. There really isn't time to shower, at least in the beginning. I never got why the mothers on the TLC reality makeover shows never had time to get ready but now I see why. I eventually squeeze mine in but here I am at 9pm and I just got out of the shower. Much like Number 1 above, I assume it will only be this way for a little while.
  4. I never thought I would be excited to see so many poopy diapers in my life. Apparently, poop means she's well-fed.
  5. Not every woman can lactate and don't let the Lactation Station make you feel bad if you can't.
  6. Birth is the coolest experience ever.
  7. I'm an overly protective parent but I also assume that will mellow out.
  8. My husband makes up words to lullabies because he knows absolutely no lyrics to any song ever written.
  9. Powdered milk and other mixed drinks are really expensive during your first year of life.
  10. I am actually proud to walk around the block pushing a baby stroller. I can't believe I would ever say/admit that. But here I am.

14 comments:

gurrbonzo said...

HURRAY!!! the time to shower thing still blows my mind. congrats on the stroller pride...you go ma! sometimes i call myself ma to feel country. just kidding.

Beau Sorensen said...

Mar,
It gets easier to shower, but as soon as they stop needing you all the time, they start getting into everything. I think that's Shell's biggest frustration, other than no matter how long you clean, it's hard to get the house completely finished.
That's sweet that Ben makes up things too. Whenever I read to the kids in the dark, I just say whatever comes to my mind because I have no idea what the story says. As far as songs, those also get made up.

Jen said...

I think our family takes the award for made up lyrics. Okay, Leah takes the award for made up lyrics. "Hakuna matata, what a wonderful phrase. Hakuna matata, ain't no fashion craze."

Anonymous said...

My Grace and I want to bring you tasty food and cute baby clothing, and view the newest Grace in our small Utah township. Alas, the only phone # we have for you and the former king of scouts doesn't work. Call us.

Lance & Kristy said...

Well I happen to be one of the lucky recipients of a few pictures passed from email to email and you're right! She IS Beautiful! Newborns are supposed to be all squishy and funny looking (except for mine, of course), but Grace is a beautiful baby. Congratulations! I too get proud to carry or push around my newest little one, but I admit I also like to have him near me so that everyone can see and think, "Oh I see, she just had a baby. That's why she's carrying a few extra lbs." The price we pay. But so worth it! Congrats again

WonderKitty said...

Congrats Mar! I am a little sad that you won't have pictures, but I understand. I am sure she is cute. Having no kids of my own, I offer no advice, except maybe an offer to baby sit when she gets old enough for you to have a social life again. Good luck!

mommy dearest said...

Hey, I was in Old Navy today and saw a clothing line just perfect for your little Grace. It's called seriously cute. Grace and I would love to come and see the newest Grace on the block. Let us know when the baby viewings commence. Otherwise we will continue to stalk you online. Boo.

mommy dearest said...

Hey, I was in Old Navy today and saw a clothing line just perfect for your little Grace. It's called seriously cute. Grace and I would love to come and see the newest Grace on the block. Let us know when the baby viewings commence. Otherwise we will continue to stalk you online. Boo.

Dorothy said...

Congrats! I just noticed your comment on my blog, and thanks.

Stephanie said...

congrats marianne!

ps my mom and i saw you with your stroller while driving one day. we resisted the urge to honk and shout inappropriate things about hot mamas.

Stephanie said...

holy sh*((*nit, my family is totally stalking you (just read throug the comments)

Penel said...

Congratulations on little baby Grace. When do we get to see her?? Besides not being able to shower, you will soon find that you will always have
an audience when you go to the bathroom. I felt like a total grownup when my last child didn't need to accompany me to the bathroom. I was about 38 years old at the time - good luck!

Mar said...

Gosh, Penel, I thought Natalie still went to the bathroom with you. We would love to show Gracie off any time you want to come and see her. Give me a call!

Meagan said...

Mar, Ben, & baby Gracie... congratulations! We'd love to see more pictures. I hear you on the no shower, expensive powder, and poop. My thoughts exactly! Get some sleep...just thinking about it makes me exhausted.